Sunday, June 21

Building Muscle VS Losing Fat

My mom and I were just talking about spot training and I think some people might not know what it means when trainers say spot training isn't possible. It's true that it's impossible to take off fat in one particular area by only working that area, but it is possible to shape and define the muscle of a specific body part by doing exercises for it.

You're able to build muscle in one spot, but not able to take off fat in one spot.

So, if you say to a trainer "Just tell me what exercise will get rid of the fat under my arms and belly" they'll say it's not possible to spot train. If you ask a trainer "How do I lift my butt, get definition in my arms, and get a 6 pack", they should be able to list off numerous exercises to get you those results.

Also, if you're looking to lose weight, I can't stress enough that you need to do strength training. You need cardio, absolutely, but strength training will build more muscle mass so that when you do cardio, you'll burn way more calories. AND, it's strength training that will shape your body the way you want. Strength training, NOT cardio, will transform your body. I heard a trainer say once that if you have a pear shape body, and only do cardio, you'll end up just looking like a smaller pear. It's strength training that's going to build, shape, and define your body to make you look like a fit, strong, healthy person.

Get to it people!!

1 comment: