Friday, February 27

Brain Shrinkage:

Were you aware that with age comes brain shrinkage?? Looks like we have to worry about more than just wrinkles! Kind of scary eh? And brain shrinkage is a trait commonly seen in people with Alzeihmer's disease. So how to we help keep our brain's "big"? Looks like eating tuna and eggs will help!

Research shows that the vitamin B12 reduces the risk of brain atrophy. Even having semi-low levels of this vitamin can be bad so make sure to eat lots of B12 rich foods like tuna and eggs.

My FAVORITE sandwich is a tuna sandwich! Try out my recipe:

What you need:
1 can of flaked light tuna in water
1 celery stalk
1/2 medium size apple
green onion (I only use about 1 piece off a stalk)
1 tbsp or less of fat free mayo
1 whole-wheat wrap
handful of leafy greens (romaine lettuce, baby spinach, etc)

To prepare:
Dice up celery, apple and green onion; mix in bowl with tuna and mayo. Put tuna mixture onto your wrap, cover with leafy greans, fold up the bottom of the wrap, then each side, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. How does Ranch dressing affect the health benefits of this recipe? Is there a brand of Ranch that won't go right to my gut? I love tuna wraps, but like half ranch, and half mayo and a bit of relish in mine. I think the relish is mostly sugar and salt, so I should probably cut that out. But I like my Ranch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, obviously ranch dressing isn't ideal, but then again neither is mayo. They do make low calorie or fat free ranch dressing, but, even so, if you looked at the ingredients on the bottle I'm sure you'd form your own opinion.

    Relish?? Ewwww!!! I recommend cutting that out just because of the "ew" factor alone.

    Buuut, in saying that, a LITTLE bit, once in awhile, won't kill you! Of relish or the ranch dressing. Throw in some extra vegies and the benefits of eating the sandwich will outweigh the negatives.

    ReplyDelete