Friday, March 20

Go Big For Breakfast!

I know you've all heard it before- breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But, have you ever heard that having a big breakfast can help you lose weight?? I was just reading that researchers found that obese dieters who ate a big 600 calorie breakfast lost significantly more weight than those that ate half as much!

The balanced breakfast (they listed scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast, a banana, and diced turkey) helped curb cravings throughout the day, especially carb specific cravings.

Some things to remember about breakfast:

1- Have it EVERY day, never ever skip. Make it a habit and those sugar cravings you now get later in the day will become non-existent.

2- The earlier the better. Have breakfast within an hour of waking up, even if you're not hungry. Doesn't have to be a huge meal, though above you see it's proven that bigger is better *smiles*, but low blood sugar levels in the morning create a chemical in the brain that masks hunger, but causes cravings later in the day.

3. Choose complex carbohydrates. This means whole grain cereals, steel-cut oats, high-fiber fruit, and so on. Fiber keeps you feeling fuller for longer and helps even your blood sugar levels.

4. Get some protein. A third of your daily intake of protein should be with your breakfast. Protein slows digestion, I've learned there's a depression-fighting amino acid in protein as well, and, again with the blood sugar levels, protein helps prevent spiking.

So, there ya go. Reasons why to eat breakfast and things to remember when you're figuring out the best way to. I never use to eat breakfast ever! These days, you don't want to be around me if I've missed my morning meal!! I'm not pleasant. I love breakfast! In fact, I just had a bowl of delicious, organic, high fiber cereal as part of my supper. Which explains I'm deciding to write about breakfast at almost 9pm!

:) YUM

1 comment: