Sunday, March 22

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can

If you're working out the way you should be, the last few reps of your set should be hard during strength training and hard during the intense portion of your cardio. So, how do you keep pushing yourself to do more when you want to quit? I find that using visualization and self-talk does the trick.

Mind over matter needs to be practiced a lot during training so that when your body wants to quit, you can find it in you to give that extra push. Have some way to will your body to do what it needs to, within reason of course. Maybe visualizing what you want your body to look like will help motivate you, or picturing a specific part on your body that you want to tone and think to yourself "I need to do this if I want to change".

I sometimes visualize the muscles I'm working actually getting more defined, or the jiggly areas becoming less jiggly! I repeat to myself- "I'm strong and getting stronger" when I'm feeling weak and don't think I can continue. During cardio, when exhaustion starts to kick in, I find that picturing my heart getting bigger and stronger with every beat can keep me going. By taking the time to think about how much good I'm doing, I find it really helps me continue and accomplish what I started. But, it can be hard to take the time to think about these things when the burning and exhaustion sets in.

All of our bodies love to exercise, they're designed to! The body wants to be more efficient, strong, and healthy and in order for our bodies to achieve this desired state, our mind's also need to be efficient, strong, and healthy. The mind is a part of you that needs to be exercised like everything else!

When your body gets exhausted and calls on your brain to pick up the slack, your mind has to be powerful enough to rise to the challenge!
Practice healthy self-talk and positive reinforcement. Take time every workout to think about how much healthier you're making yourself. Make your brain work! Force it to become efficient enough to give you will power on demand and precisely when you need it, train it to be strong enough to compete against any amount of stress you're enduring, and teach it be healthy enough to keep you feeling happy, energized, and excited for the next workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment